Monday, November 7, 2011

Sisterhood

I wish we didn't feel the pain. I wish we didn't welcome it.
I wish we could let it go. I wish we wanted to.
I wish for questions. I wish for answers.
I wish to be a part. I wish to be a whole.
But most of all I wish to be heard, to be recognized in your eyes, my companion, my friend, my sister.

We wish but we do not ask.

Instead we search, hand in hand, for the parts, wholes, questions, answers, pain, happiness, and recognition of our existence.
We search. We seek. We long to understand.
But the beauty lies in the fact that we don't.

3 comments:

  1. Did you write this as a poem, because it sure sounds like it! Anyways, my sister, we shouldn't forget, there's a beauty in not being heard, in struggling. Why not fight through life? Isn't a fight just an extension of the plight of man, doom to possibly not fulfilling this ever-mentioned quest for being/knowledge/direction? It brings the question of what is more important: being heard, or hearing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Karen, that sounds awfully Marxist of you. :) He might disagree with the "not being heard" part, but he would absolutely agree with the constant struggling. Which is actually very Hegelian of Marx. Because by saying that the Proletariat need to overthrow the bourgeoisie, and thus create communism, he actually follows Hegel's dialectic system of thesis, antithesis, and synthesis.

    Also, fantastic poem!! (yes, it is a poem, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate so much to this poem and your thoughts! I think the reason why sisters fight so much is because we have so much in common with eachother that sometimes makes us clash. I agree that is impossible to always get along, because how else would we "advance" our relationship or become closer if we didn't fight through our differences?

    As a twin, it's hard sometimes to recognize that we are not completely the same person, that, even though we have virtually the same DNA, we have almost completely opposite ways of doing things. In a way, however, this struggle has almost made me appreciate her even more, because I now respect our differences and can move on. I know this is entirely different from the purpose of your poem, but I couldn't help referencing that!

    I love this poem :)

    ReplyDelete