Wednesday, September 14, 2011

From Serenity to Reality

Today in class we went on a walk with earplugs in. This heightened my sense of sight; I walked slowly and absorbed all of my surroundings with eagerness. My partner and I pointed out objects of visual pleasure to us, such as trees and houses. We reached a small park and sat and lay in the grass while wearing a blindfold. The serenity was astounding. With no sense of sight or sound, I relied completely on my sense of touch. I even dozed off a bit.

When I returned to the conscious reality of day to day school life, I was immediately confronted with a panicked situation. Apparently, I had left my car keys in my car this morning, as one friend told me during Generals' Period. I started to, for lack of a better word, "freak out" and run around the school in a frenzy. They weren't in my car and my friend hadn't picked them up. My mind started racing with all the awful scenarios: Would someone steal the car--my parents' car?! Would I be stuck at school forever? What will my mom think? Would she trust me with such a responsibility again? I sprinted down to the office's Lost and Found...and there they were. Wonderful and silver. It was such a contrast to the beautiful peace of third period.

The unfortunate reality of life is reality. No matter how hard you try to create a peaceful, meditative space; life always comes back to panic you out of it.

1 comment:

  1. Does it have to be so? Does life have to induce a panic? Remember the discussion the first day of class about overcoming the reactive impulse? Ask yourself if this is possible with every disconcerting situation.
    I am intrigued by the title of this post. Can not Serenity be reality too?
    mr. s

    ReplyDelete