Thursday, October 13, 2011

Don't Try to Comprehend

Today was our second day discussing Kierkegaard, and I feel his philosophy much more relatable than that of Nietzsche. Although both are existentialists, I can relate well to Kierkegaard's internal struggle and his fear and trembling. I feel that fear and anxiety are not things we should try to avoid and beat, but rather things that we need to understand. They are intrinsically part of what it means to be human. Oftentimes fear is irrational--we talked about paranoia in class a couple weeks ago. Kierkegaard's answer to fear is faith, another incomprehensible and sometimes irrational concept. But that is the beauty of faith. It is so beyond our understanding, it is putting all you have into something you don't need. The point of faith is that it is hard to comprehend, otherwise it wouldn't be faith at all.

Kierkegaard believed in God; Nietzsche did not. But Nietzsche (slipping into debate mode), don't you have a spirit? You have your soul, your being, your individuality. If you do not have faith in a greater power, at least have faith in that. And remember, that it is okay to be weak sometimes. It is okay to fear and tremble. It is okay to take refuge.

It is even okay to leap.

6 comments:

  1. Personally, I felt Nietzsche's philosophy more relatable and perhaps that's because I have never had that experience of fear and trembling and hopefully won't have to for a while. Now, Kierkegaard would say that I am purposefully avoiding the intrinsic anxiety of death and that instead of facing the inevitability of death I am pushing the issue to the recesses of my mind; I'm living in blissful ignorance. I would agree with Nietzsche here. I understand that at some point everyone must die and that time will come for me as well, but why dwell on that? Why become preoccupied with the end so that you miss the present? Nietzsche says that people should accept and satisfy their needs and thus live every second, every minute in the present; that is an existence I accept living in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't mind me asking, what precisely do you mean when you ask Nietzsche to "have faith" in his soul, spirit, being and individuality? What is a "spirit" or a "soul"? And wouldn't you say that Nietzsche's point is that you needn't have "faith" in individuality; that the ability to express individuality is a human's most important and defining faculty?
    Regardless of my adamant support of Nietzschean philosophy, this short post was very well written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the will to power is a fascinating and at times accurate concept, but if you combined it with a sense of faith in something greater (whether it be nature, love, God, etc.) it would be stronger. It would combine vulnerability and surrender, strength and fallibility, faith and will. Why follow one brilliant philosopher when you can follow two? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... what do you mean by "having faith in something greater"? Are you referring to the teleological suspension of the ethical? If so, how do you suspend the ethical for a "soul" or "sprit"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma, I really like this post, but I feel as if you're a little harsh on Nietzsche. :D

    Personally, I think that Kierkegaard's so called "teleological suspension of the ethical", this leap to the faith stage, is actually just another way of avoiding the his fear and trembling. To put yourself out on a limb, and take this leap of faith, there's no reason to do that unless you are scared in the first place. So Kierkegaard's being a bit hypocritical here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woow there is a whole other world going on here! ...you guys are such over achievers :D just kidding keep on going! :)

    I agree with Emma about Kierkegaard. I can relate to both Kierkegaard and Nietzsche because I have faith in a higher power but I also believe in enjoying every moment of life and celebrating the fact that we are alive. But I don't agree with you Jordan about that for Kierkegaard its just another way of avoiding his fear and trembling because the leap of faith is putting complete trust into god and having hope. Isn't Nietzsche the one who is just avoiding his fear and trembling?

    ReplyDelete