Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hegel and the Internet

I came into class today very confused about Hegelian's view of the subconscious, to be completely honest. I didn't know how to contextualize it, how to put it in a broader perspective so that I could successfully zoom out and say, "Yes, I understand now."

Today in class we attempted to crash the school network, at least that's what I thought Mr. Summers' initial plan was. But no. Instead we navigated the world of the interweb using philosophical triggers and through the exercise tried to arrive at a greater understanding of the "Geist."

Matthew T Grant put it brilliantly when he wrote, "Spirit (“Geist” or “Mind”) represented itself to itself in an unprecedented manner."

We are coming together through the world of the internet. In this invisible being, all of human history is connected, shared, and harbored. We are able to connect to others through social networking, e-mail, etc. We recognize other consciousnesses as they recognize our own. It is a world of connectedness and isolation, unity and disunity.

Hegel is still a bit foggy to me, but much clearer now than when I stepped into class.

No comments:

Post a Comment