Thursday, March 1, 2012

I Ching Translation and Interpretation

My question that I asked the I Ching was whether or not I should quit the school play. I asked this for a numerous amount of reasons. Firstly, quitting would free up my schedule immensely. I would be able to do all my work, study, tutor, and actually have free time for the first time in a long time. There is so much I would do with that time--relax, read for fun, catch up on months of sleep deprivation. It would be the healthier choice for me, especially in light of recent health slip-ups. Secondly, I asked because quitting would also mean leaving my last possible show with a theatre department whose quirks and bonds I have grown to love. I have been very conflicted this past week, and I was hoping the I Ching would be able to shed light on where I should go.

My first hexagram came out to be number 15 (Ch'ien / Modesty). The translation speaks of how a modest man goes through with his commitments. "The superior man can carry out his work to the end without boasting of what he has achieved." This suggests that I should go through with the play, that I should stick to what I have decided to do and carry it through to the end. The translation goes on to describe the image of modesty and how the "superior man reduces that which is too much." Well, in this case, maybe I shouldn't do the play. The play may be too much for me, and a modest person would strike a reasonable balance, according to the translation. The third line's translation states: "A superior man of modesty and merit carries things to conclusion." This again suggests that I should go through with the play. Basically, this hexagram is confusing me further. What is the I Ching suggesting I do? And how do I do it?

My second hexagram is number 52 (Kên / Keeping Still, Mountain). This signifies what I am moving towards. It sheds light on the modesty hexagram. The translation states that the stillness a man may strive for is similar to that of a mountain and focuses on the "problem of achieving a quiet heart." I interpret the stillness as stillness of mind and body. I have not had that in a very long time, and only through quitting will I get that. Since this hexagram sheds light on the first, I think the first one is telling me to "reduce that which is too much." This is the appropriate path to take, I think. Well, I will see next week whether or not the I Ching has proven to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment