Saturday, April 7, 2012

Kant's Ethics

I was really intrigued by Kant's ethics. Most of the time, when confronted with an ethical dilemma, I ask myself, "What should I do?" The reading, however, states that Kant does not focus on this question, but rather the one that discusses what a person should do in the face of temptations, like a man tempted to commit adultery. But what if you are not tempted. What if you are merely dumbfounded as to what to do? What if you are torn in half and do not know which way to go, are not tempted in a certain direction? Surely there are choices like that as well.

I really liked the section about the reasons we think about ethics. Wolff says that they are 1) to discover an absolutely certain proof of the moral principles that we are already convinced are true. 2) we don't know what is right. 3) the search for the good life. I am a bit confused about what the good life really means. The book states that the good life "combines virtue and happiness in true human fulfillment," but what is that really? I want to live a good life, but to do that do you not have to be able to solve hard cases and be happy with your decision? Because I feel I would be unhappy with any hard case solution, because a hard case is hard because the solution is not perfect. How can life then be truly good? It confuses me.

No comments:

Post a Comment